Saturday, January 2, 2010

...where JCrew & I have a minor difference of opinion.

Like I've said, me & JCrew go WAY back. I've got some pieces from the early 1990's that are still in play in my wardrobe. I love the ease of their sweaters, pants, tees, skirts and anything with a little stretch in it, but dresses and certain tops just make me crazy! Why don't they show some love for the twins? Why? Why? Either they just don't design some blazers, tops, dresses for women with a bust larger than a small b cup, the bodice is cut distractingly low (not suitable for business or sedate occasions, even for smaller gals) or they load up the bodice with too, too many ruffles, pleats, flowers, gathers and the like.
Case in point: The Banquette dress I scored a few days ago. Lovely work dress in a soft grey flannel. Couldn't pass it up on sale for $56. It fits well, the little bit of stretch gets it over the girls with no problem. The SA did give me a heads up on the way to dry it on by saying several ladies have commented that it's low cut. Sure enough, it is, but I can camouflage the girls and make the purchase. A great necklace works and so does a scarf, but it would be so easy for JCrew to have raised the bodice about 1 inch. You do not have to have lots of cleavage want to be a wee bit more covered. The pretty v-neckline is preserved and the dress is an option for more ladies. That's just all I'm sayin'.

9 comments:

  1. thanks for stopping by. i like that dress. it's nice to meet someone who decks out in jcrew as much as i do.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not agree with you more. If I find a jc top that I really want, I have to size up to appropriately cover the girls! It can be very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls aren't big - I'm a b cup - and I tried on this dress in my normal size. The bottom of the V came to the bottom of my bra. Sizing down didn't help. Come on, J. Crew! This is suiting, how can someone wear a dress with a V-neck like that to the office? I could do a scarf or cami but there was no way I'd have the option to wear the dress on it's own. I passed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me laugh. It is very, very true, and I'm an A/B cup! Even with being that small, I sometimes find that the top portion of dresses from J.Crew is tight! Like the Primrose dress, for instance. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Ladies - looks like this is a touchy subject! And don't even get me started on the bathing suit tops!
    Fabumom - it's frustrating because with dresses, I have to usually alter like crazy to get fit in the waist & hips. This dress is fairly balanced, top & bottom, but when I lose my er, holiday jolliness (read:gut), it might run a bit big. We'll see in a few weeks (I hope).
    Desert Flower - wow, that's crazy low! I'm not a fan of the cami underneath this dress - it throws off the lines. You're totally spot on: this dress is designed for work & the unadorned V is simply too low for most offices.
    NoJCrewinJapan - JCrew dress sizing is russian roulette for me - I can be a 4 or a 10. Also the way the sleeve holes are cut makes a big difference, too. I rarely order dresses online for that reason.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this dress looks fantastic on you - much better then on JC model.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY GOSH. I SO FEEL YOU ON THIS ONE!!!!!!! But J.Crew and I parted ways because I gained weight... My goal is to wear my pants/sweaters/blazers from there again one day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, SimplyJCrew!
    Boob Nazi - your blog cracks me up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look amazing in that dress! I understand your complaint, but being on the other end of the spectrum (I'm a B- cup), I don't look half that good in the Banquette.

    ReplyDelete