Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Year's Resolution!


Yeah, yeah, I have the usual - exercise 5x/week, eat healthily, be an awesome wife & mom. But here's one that's new - get my 3rd business, making hair accessories up and running. I've been making them off and on for about 5 years now - I got the idea from British milliners who have been creating them for some time and call them fascinators - usually seen on women going to fancy events, like the Royal Ascot, weddings and the like. I needed a hat for an event and of course, everything I liked in stores were $300+, so I thought I'd try my hand at making one. Of course I never made anything like this before, but why let that stop me? I did some internet research, ordered some supplies for about $30 and made me a kind-of hat. People seemed to like it so I made a few more and sold them at a holiday craft fair. I even won two 1st place prizes in a hat contest 2 years in a row.
But with 2 other businesses screaming for my attention, my little hair accessories enterprise fell by the wayside. But I forced myself to make & sell a few this holiday and a friend I had made quite a few fascinators for previously called last week out of the blue to request 2 more. The signs were there: get to steppin' in 2010!
So today, I cleaned up my studio in the basement, ordered some new materials and registered an Etsy account. I'll launch it this weekend. More details to come!

1 comment: